Rocko1

all messages by user

5/7/2017
Topic:
To the top of El Cajon Mountain aka "The Beast"

Rocko1
Rocko1
Any guess as to when the best time to do this with the least amount of crowds?
5/7/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Rocko1
Rocko1
Just curious as to what is your go to book(s) for hiking, history, etc. in Anza Borrego. I have the book by Diana and Lowell Lindsay and an old Afoot and Afield in San Diego by Jerry Schad. Any others worth getting?
5/8/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Rocko1
Rocko1
ziphius wrote:
caltopo.com + imagination = trouble / fun smile

I have never tried caltopo. I will check it out, thanks.
5/8/2017
Topic:
Whale Peak Trail Head Garbage

Rocko1
Rocko1
Looks like some jerks dumped a pickup truck full of garbage at the Whale Peak trail head. Broken tv, old plastic Christmas tree, etc. What's strange is it's not the easiest place to dump trash. This type of stuff drives me nuts.
edited by Rocko1 on 5/8/2017
5/8/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
dsefcik wrote:
If you have not already reported it I can let the rangers know.

I have not. That would be great.

What is the best way to reach them?
5/8/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
dsefcik wrote:
You could contact the Visitor Center (760) 767-4205 and they can either take the information or help direct you to the right people.

Thanks.
5/9/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
Dartman wrote:
Unbelievable. When was it discovered? My son and I just camped there on April 29-30 and it was spotless. All we could manage for our "leave it cleaner than you found it" was a bottle cap.

Did you camp at the end of the road? It may have been cleaned since I was there a 4 weeks or so ago.
5/9/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
dsefcik wrote:
It happens, I remember camping in Indian Gorge one one night, we drove in at dusk and when we drove out around 9am the next morning somebody had camped right where you drive in and left a huge bonfire pit of wood pallets, beer bottles, trash, etc.

We just got back from a weekend trip in Canyon Sin Nombre. Some jerks were tearing up and down the canyon in their jeep for an hour. The next morning at the south mouth of the canyon there was a huge fire with smoldering logs, garbage and broken bear bottles from them throwing them against the canyon walls.
edited by Rocko1 on 5/9/2017
5/9/2017
Topic:
What do you do with found artifacts?

Rocko1
Rocko1
I see many people finding some very interesting things-pottery, arrowheads, etc. I assume all is place where you found it, or do you bury the finds, collect and give to rangers? Just curious.
5/9/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
ziphius wrote:
Leave in place and don't post specific locations. Even posting general locations is kind of a bad idea, as there are many forums out there dedicated to the collection of arrowheads, etc. Why give folks a head-start on their collecting activity? Everything is public and searchable these days.
edited by ziphius on 5/9/2017

Great idea. I really try to drive home leaving everything as is with my kids when hiking/camping.
5/12/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Rocko1
Rocko1
dsefcik wrote:
Britain wrote:
The Historic Backcountry seems to be a hard find to purchase.
edited by Britain on 5/11/2017

Email Chris directly, that is how I bought mine, he is a good guy.

https://chriswray.smugmug.com/BackcountryBook/The-Historic-backcountry-Book/

I'd love to read that book, but $50 is a bit steep for me.
5/12/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
Buford wrote:
I always leave them where I found them. I would never take it home, ever. Period.

If it is notable I take a picture.

I appreciate museums, and the fact they protect things forever. I am uncomfortable that museums vacuum up artifacts and take away someone's else's joy of discovery in the wild.

I would be very upset if an artifact I left in the wild was poached and taken home by someone. I also would not be thrilled if it was taken by a museum and stored in a closet in perpetuity.

I know there are still mostly intact Ollas out there that have been left by like minded people. I have not found one myself, yet.

I agree with Ziphius. I stumbled on an online artifact collecting forum once looking up Borrego info. What people had looted and taken home made me sick.

I agree. I wouldn't even want to know the items that were stolen-and that's what it is-from Borrego.
5/12/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
Dartman wrote:
Rocko1 wrote:
Dartman wrote:
Unbelievable. When was it discovered? My son and I just camped there on April 29-30 and it was spotless. All we could manage for our "leave it cleaner than you found it" was a bottle cap.

Did you camp at the end of the road? It may have been cleaned since I was there a 4 weeks or so ago.

I presume it is the same spot. This is the turn off to the right at the top of Pinyon Mountain Rd before it starts dropping down toward the Squeeze. I will try to attach a couple of pics.

"", ""
edited by Dartman on 5/9/2017

There is actually a spot even more south than where you were-10-20 yards?. The road sort of go up in elevation a bit. It's west of that where the garbage was.
5/12/2017
Topic:
Villager Peak

Rocko1
Rocko1
Has anyone here made it to Villager Peak and or Rabbit Peak? Looking for your experience, trail condition, etc.
5/12/2017
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Rocko1
Rocko1
tommy750 wrote:
Bought a signed (yeah, that's how I roll smile ) copy of Wray's book at the Desert View Tower a few years ago. Just called over there and they say they're sold out and can't get Chris to get them any more. Anyone know how the third edition differs from the prior one??

Not sure about the editions, but he said yesterday he has another 'batch' coming out. Not sure if that's for him to sell himself or what.
5/12/2017
Topic:
Pinto Wash Petroglyphs

Rocko1
Rocko1
Is it considered safe to hike this area?
5/13/2017
Topic:
My Ride

Rocko1
Rocko1
sddarkman619 wrote:
LOVE that hill.
here's my ride going down...
Britain let me know when you are going out, I might join you sometime. That is if you are ok with Tacomas. smile

Feel free to view in full screen.

Nice truck. Looks like 'the squeeze' may have gotten your doors?
5/14/2017
Topic:
Villager Peak

Rocko1
Rocko1
dsefcik wrote:
Personally I would recommend an overnight trip, spend the night up on Rabbit (or nearby with a view of the Salton Sea) and watch the sunrise over the Salton Sea, that is one of my favorites for sure, anywhere up on the Rosa's watching the sunrise is magical.

I'd like to see that. Thanks.
5/15/2017
Topic:
Villager Peak

Rocko1
Rocko1
rockhopper wrote:
When are you going? Darens right, nothing like waking up on a remote Santa Rosa mountain peak. However bring LOTS of water! We are technically past the peak climbing season for Rabbit peak as the desert heats up. Be careful if you go. Go early and gain elevation to beat the heat. You can also night climb under a full moon with headlamp. Nov.- April is my favorite time to go. Snow is often available if timed right.
edited by rockhopper on 5/15/2017

I will probably wait until after the heat of summer. Trying to plan the hike-gear to take etc. I plan on camping near the peak one night, hike back in after dawn. 2 gallons of water should be enough if the temps are cool enough, no?
5/15/2017
Topic:
What footwear do you use for desert hiking?

Rocko1
Rocko1
Curious what footwear everyone is wearing while hiking through the desert. My trail runners and light hiking boots seem to really take a beating.
5/15/2017
Topic:
Villager Peak

Rocko1
Rocko1
Buford wrote:
Everyone goes through different amounts of water. 2G sounds like more than enough to me, but everyone is different.

I agree, sunrise from the ridge is awesome. It can be very cold up there though.

It is basically a trail to Villager. Hard to call it a cross country route.

Thanks. In the books I have read it's made out to be hard to follow the trail with few visitors, but reading blogs, etc. it seems many more people visit this than I expected.
9/25/2017
Topic:
Most western+highest elevation backpacking spot?

Rocko1
Rocko1
I am looking for the highest and most westerly spot within the park boundary that I could do a 2 day backpacking trip. Anyone have any ideas?
9/26/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
ziphius wrote:
The Combs Peak / Bucksnort Mountain area along the Pacific Crest Trail north of Hot Springs Mtn. Nice, wild country back there.

I will check this out. Thanks.
10/3/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
ziphius wrote:
Not sure if your desire for 'highest' spots are due to cooler temperatures, if so, the Culp Valley area is 'west' and relatively high (3000 - 4000 ft). Then there are the San Ysidro mountains, hellish terrain, but high and just west of Borrego Springs.

I like the fauna/flora of the higher altitudes near the desert as well as lower temps. Near Whale Peak for example. Remoteness also is important.
10/3/2017
Topic:
Goat Benchmark

Rocko1
Rocko1
Nice trip. Care to share any stats? Miles hiked, etc?
12/5/2017
Topic:
Pinyon Valley Road Condition?

Rocko1
Rocko1
Has anyone been on this road to Whale Peak trail head or nearby? Curious as to the road condition. Many of the roads this year that use to be 2wd friendly were covered in deep sand due to the heavy rains.
12/18/2017
Topic:
Best route for hike from Laguna to desert floor?

Rocko1
Rocko1
I have been wanting to hike from Laguna to the desert floor and interested in the best route. Other than the PCT, has anyone tried Storm Canyon or have any other routes?
12/18/2017
Topic:
A trip started in the desert

Rocko1
Rocko1
Very nice! I would love to see this area.
12/18/2017
Topic:
Moan Benchmark and I found a roasting pit.

Rocko1
Rocko1
I have seen the 'pits' before but never knew what there were. Thanks for the info.
12/18/2017
Topic:
Rockhouse / Buck Ridge

Rocko1
Rocko1
Nice trip. What bivy is that?

Also, how much water did you carry at one time?
edited by Rocko1 on 12/18/2017
12/19/2017
Topic:
Rockhouse / Buck Ridge

Rocko1
Rocko1
dsefcik wrote:
Rocko1 wrote:
Nice trip. What bivy is that?

Also, how much water did you carry at one time?

OR Helium

5-7 liters this trip, we dry camped every night because of our route. You could do it carrying much less with the springs being your final destination for each day.

Cool, thanks.
12/25/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
rockhopper wrote:
I am assuming a day hike right? If so bring hiking poles, gloves ,heavy bush wacking clothes and a folding saw. btw I find it is easier going up through rough terrain than going down it. good luck and please post pics from you expedition.

If I can figure out where to leave a vehicle on Laguna Mt. I would do overnight. Will do.
12/25/2017
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
tommy750 wrote:
Here’s my trip report on dropping down from the Lagunas via Cottonwood earlier this year: http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/Forum/topic1279-oriflame-to-cottonwood-canyon--day-bp.aspx

You can find a way from the highway down to the top of Cottonwood Canyon looking on Google Earth. As I recall there’s different options depending on how much you enjoy brush smile

Great trip. Do you have any gps coordinates from this trip? Maybe entry/exit point?
12/25/2017
Topic:
Found a stone head...Desert Prometheus

Rocko1
Rocko1
Very cool!
1/2/2018
Topic:
Oriflame to Cottonwood Canyon 3 day BP

Rocko1
Rocko1
tommy750 wrote:
sddarkman619 wrote:
what shelter is that? a Tarptent? Looking for a shelter.
where did you park vehicles so they weren't messed with?
Nice writeup thanks for sharing!
edited by sddarkman619 on 5/20/2017

Got an altaplex tent from zpacks.com last year and really like it. It weighs in at 18 oz making it lighter than a lot of bivy sacks. If you're not too tall, their solplex is less than a pound. I like tents because they keep bugs away but obviously there's pros and cons.

We left our vehicles at the Camp Hark ruins. Never have had any problems leaving a vehicle at local sites but not sure about others' experiences.

Those are very nice tents. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of coin on a shelter.
1/2/2018
Topic:
Your Go To AB Book?

Rocko1
Rocko1
tommy750 wrote:
The new edition of Lindsay's book is out.

AB by tomteske, on Flickr

https://www.amazon.com/Anza-Borrego-Desert-Region-Complete/dp/0899977790/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514770620&sr=1-1&keywords=anza+borrego+guidebook

Did you get this yet? Any major changes? I love the info but the format of the book for me is horrible. I wish it followed the Afoot and Afield style.
edited by Rocko1 on 1/2/2018
1/2/2018
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
tommy750 wrote:
Rocko1 wrote:
tommy750 wrote:
Here’s my trip report on dropping down from the Lagunas via Cottonwood earlier this year: http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/Forum/topic1279-oriflame-to-cottonwood-canyon--day-bp.aspx

You can find a way from the highway down to the top of Cottonwood Canyon looking on Google Earth. As I recall there’s different options depending on how much you enjoy brush smile

Great trip. Do you have any gps coordinates from this trip? Maybe entry/exit point?

If you wanted to do a straight Sunrise Hwy to S2 hike you could park at the lot .8 miles north of the northernmost intersection of Deer Park Rd and Sunrise Hwy, drop down to PCT and head south till you get to a dirt road that leads toward the top of Cottowood Canyon. It will take you to near Butterfield Ranch on S2. Am thinking they will let you park there for a fee. You can easily create your own points on GE or caltopo. Don't have clear entry/exit points since we didn't go your planned route. Hope that helps. Tom

Thanks, I will check out that route. I meant the entry/exit from your specific trip. Just curious that is all.

On another front, did you see the airplane on the map?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/32%C2%B055'50.5%22N+116%C2%B027'50.0%22W/@32.930699,-116.4644482,164m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d32.9306986!4d-116.4639007
1/7/2018
Topic:
Sunrise Trailhead Parking Lot?

Rocko1
Rocko1
Can you park overnight here? Thinking about doing an overnighter down the PCT starting at the parking lot.
1/15/2018
Topic:
All Year Water Sources?

Rocko1
Rocko1
Are there any year round water sources in AB? I thought the spring at Palm Springs and Dos Cabezas were flowing all year, are there any other reliable sources?
5/29/2018
Topic:
Pinyon Mountain Road Current Condition?

Rocko1
Rocko1
Does anyone know the current condition of Pinyon Mountain Rd up to the Whale Peak trail head?
6/4/2018
Topic:
2-3 Day Trip Recommendation?

Rocko1
Rocko1
Looking to do a 2 day backpacking trip this summer. I was hoping I could make a reliable water source the halfway point so I wouldn't have to carry so much water. I know of a few of the sources-Palm Spring, Dos Cabezas but those don't fit will with a decent route. Can anyone point me towards a reliable source 8-12 miles from place I can park? It would be appreciated.
6/12/2018
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
ziphius wrote:
There may be some reluctance to post locations or identify otherwise obscure backcountry water sources on the open forum, especially given the history of some of those sources being diverted for illegal weed farms and the associated trash and other problems that come with discovery. Just didn't want you to think folks were ignoring your thread / post.

Ok, I understand that. How does one get 'vetted' so to speak?
6/12/2018
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
ziphius wrote:
Rocko1 wrote:
Ok, I understand that. How does one get 'vetted' so to speak?

It kind of happens 'organically', at least on this forum. Folks post threads from their trips, show an interest and respect for the desert and it's cultural and biological treasures, get invited on a trip with forum members, maybe they are known from other sources, like the annual bighorn sheep count, then they are trusted. Internet has resulted in 'oversharing' with the result being that many sites are now overrun. Tassajara Hot Springs is a good example. We are friendly here, but we generally don't post specific locations of obscure water sources, pictographs, etc. Just thought someone should reply to this thread.

I get it. Thanks for the info. I understand how sensitive the information is and how important protecting the area is as well. I have gotten to a certain point reading the standard books of the area by Schad, Lindsay, and wanted to try something a bit off the norm. Carrying 2-3 days water is tough in the summer.

Thanks for replying.
6/12/2018
Topic:
RHC 4 Day Backpack

Rocko1
Rocko1
Looks like a great trip. How far up RHC Road do you think you could get in a 2wd Explorer?
6/12/2018
Topic:
Canyon Sin Nombre

Rocko1
Rocko1
April of last year we stayed a couple of days at the south end of Canyon Sin Nombre. I had not been here since I was a kid. Explored the area with my brother and dad. Kept the hiking light for them. Saw a pair of healthy big horns in the morning hiking up the hill towards Sweeny Pass Rd. Nice area.

Big Horn Sheep
https://youtu.be/AqgcHugb0Vg

Healthy from the years heavy rains.

Looking south, near the end of the canyon.
edited by Rocko1 on 6/12/2018
6/12/2018
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
Buford wrote:
Another problem is reliability of water sources, especially in the summer. Sources that used to be reliable, may not be anymore due to drought, seasons, earthquakes, human intervention, or other causes. Not many people hike in Borrego in the summer either so info is more limited.

No one wants to send someone with unknown outdoors ability who they’ve never met in person to a potentially dry source the person might be relying on for survival.

Edit:
I actually don’t know the exact location of any year round water sources that are “secret.” I know some people here do. Another thing would be to search them out in winter with old Topo maps and google earth followed by some exploring on the ground.
edited by Buford on 6/12/2018

Makes perfect sense. I may stick with a 2 day trip until temperatures cool off. Thanks.
edited by Rocko1 on 6/12/2018
6/13/2018
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
dsefcik wrote:
The other possibility is to park up at Toro peak and make your way down to the cottonwoods. Assuming there is water (which I would be surprised if there was not) you could base camp there and do some day hikes into the surrounding RHC area. This is a fairly common route even during non summer months. The only drawback is you will have to climb 3,000' to get back to your car. Toro is at 8,000+ and the cottonwoods are at 5,000 so the temps should better than down on the desert floor.

Thank you for all of the information. This is an interesting option. I will do some mapping and see how that would look.

Thanks again.
6/13/2018
Topic:
Canyon Sin Nombre

Rocko1
Rocko1
Thanks. We had been moving up the hill and kept seeing fresh urine/droppings. My dad thought is was from a huge rabbit but I said it has to be sheep or something with a massive bladder. We must have seen 10+ fresh pools 10" or so in diameter. Little did we know we were following them by accident on a use trail. They blend in so perfectly with the landscape.

Here is another video.

https://youtu.be/UAQfs2oy_v0
edited by Rocko1 on 6/13/2018
edited by Rocko1 on 6/13/2018
6/13/2018
Topic:
RHC 4 Day Backpack

Rocko1
Rocko1
dsefcik wrote:
Rocko1 wrote:
Looks like a great trip. How far up RHC Road do you think you could get in a 2wd Explorer?
You should be able to get to Butler Junction without a problem. RHC in 105+ temps does not sound like any fun at all.....

Thanks. I draw the line when it gets near 110. smile
6/22/2018
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
rockhopper wrote:
Ha. That's a good one Buford. I follow the old timers and ancient peoples migrations. Low desert in the Winter, Mountians in the summer. Rocko1, Daren pretty much nailed it. Good luck. But I would go higher in elevation.

Thanks. I think I will turn this into a 2 day backpack trip with my dad in cooler weather.
27 days ago
Topic:

Rocko1
Rocko1
Britain wrote:
Be careful out there
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Search-On-for-Man-Missing-in-Desert-During-Heat-Warning-486333201.html??f
edited by Britain on 6/25/2018

Hmm. I wonder what happened.
16 days ago
Topic:
2018 BHS Count Results

Rocko1
Rocko1
Awesome pictures. Love that game cam. What make/model is that?